Q: But I don't want you to see my mess.
A: When I start with my clients, many are simply embarrassed to have me see their mess. But they swallow their pride and realize that I am the key to helping them get the organized life that they have been dreaming of.What clients need to realize is that I am not there to judge, I am there to help.We all lead busy lives and our priorities are making sure our children are clean and fed, going to work at a 40+ hour week job, and then coming home to once again to make sure the children are clean and fed, spend quality time with our family and friends and maybe, just maybe relax for a few minutes.What all of us need to reassured of is that it can be done, with a little help and encouragement. Remember my tag line, "I enter with no judgment, I leave with no stories".
Q: How much is this going to cost?
A: My rates vary on the type of job you hire me for. I book in three hour blocks of time and my hourly rate for a typicaal job is $65. For weekends and weeknights my hourly rate goes up $10 an hour. For garages and rooms that need an extra body to help the additional fee is $25 an hour. The typical client spends 3 hours working with me and we can usually make a large impact on their areas of their home that are bothering them! Plus they learn the steps to keeping the area organized as we have put systems in place during our session.
Q: What makes you different from other organizers in our area?
A: I am a member of our National Association of Professional Organizers, called NAPO. I am the only member in North Dakota. I have a code of ethics that I stand by. I take classes and seminars that make me a better organizer. Support is given to me by almost 5,000 other members in this organization. If you want a professional organizer who stays on top of cutting edge technologies and organizing techniques I am the right fit for you. I treat this as my occupation and not a hobby. I am working on earning my CPO, which is certification for Profesional Organizers. Each organizer brings a different skill set. For example, I do not work with hoarders. That requires very specialized training that I have not received and I would refer to another organizer.
Q: What do I need to get started?
A: You need to schedule your free phone consultation. During that time I will assess if I have the skills to help you and better yet, you will get to know me to see if I am someone that you want to work with. To set up your free phone consultation you need to email me at email@example.com and I will email you back a couple of times that you can choose from.
Q: What type of payments do you take?
A: I accept cash or check at the end of each session. If you would like to pay by credit card, I will send you an invoice via PayPal and you can pay at the end of our session.
Q: Do you require a deposit?
A: It depends on the client. If you live a distance away from me I do charge a retainer so if I show up and you are not there, I am paid for my time. I also require a deposit if you have cancelled a past session.
Q: Do you travel?
A: Yes I do. I charge a rate of .51 cents per mile. I have traveled as far as 300 miles. If a long distance is required I usually require a minimum amount of hours to be purchased in order to take into consideration the time away from my family and other business.
Q: What if I cancel?
A: I book out about three weeks in advance and if you cancel with less than a 48 hour notice, you will be charged half of the fee for that days session. Once you cancel, for any subsequent session you book, you will need to pay in full before I hold your date. People who struggle with disorganization have a lot of emotions in dealing with letting someone into their lives to help them get organized. I have found that if you are charged a fee when you cancel, you are more willing to keep your appointment and you tend to remember your appointment. Remember this only applies if you give me less than 48 hours notice and it does not apply to every situation. It is difficult to fill those last minute cancellations.
Q: Do you ever speak to groups or organizations?
A: I do and the speaking rates depend on the length of time, subject matter and if there is travel involved. Please email Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org to talk about your particular needs.
Q: If I decide to hire you, what are some things that I should keep in mind?
A: Here are a few tips to help you:
- Take time off: Take a morning or afternoon off from work to work with the organizer on the project.
- Distraction free zone:Make sure all distractions are gone….kids and hubby out of the house, phone and computer turned off.
- Short blocks of time: Depending on the project, hire the organizer for just a few hours.See if the relationship works for you.This way you don’t need to worry about a long term financial commitment with someone who you may not gel with.
- Biggest problem area: Pick the area of your home that bothers you the most and start there.
- Don't touch it: Do not clean the area that you want help with. The organizer needs to see your habits to know how the clutter got there and where it tends to go in the area. We need to understand why you accumulate, and this helps us solve the puzzle.
- Pictures: Take before and after pictures.Many people are afraid to do this, but when we are done with the project they often say….."I wish we would have taken a photo".What the photo does for you is to remind you of how hard we worked to get the project done…plus we maybe even had some fun along the way